Living in the southeast, one of the best things about summer is the abundance of sweet, juicy eastern peaches. This cake is simple to throw together and is every bit as delicious to end a meal as it is along side a cup of coffee in the morning. I recommend doubling the recipe so you can hide one away for yourself for after your family goes to bed.
2-3 medium/large peaches
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1-1/2 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1-2 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. Peel and slice peaches.
1. Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla. Add the egg to the mixture and mix; add in the dry ingredients (sugar, flower, baking soda, salt and cinnamon) and combine. Lastly, add the milk.
3. Pour the batter in a 9-inch round or a 9×9 square pan, and smooth with a spatula. Cover the top of the cake with sliced peaches, creating a single layer. Sprinkle the top with the cinnamon.
4. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes. Be sure to check after 20 minutes, and bake until a knife or toothpick comes out clean from the center. (An 8-inch round will take 45 to 50 minutes and will almost overflow—so it’s not recommended, but it is possible if you don’t have the right pan available.)
5. Let cool. Slice, enjoy, repeat.